Monday, September 12, 2011

Red Rock Relay




Last weekend Jill and I went and did the Red Rock. We went with her Crossfit buddies and let me tell you it was really fun. It is a 12 person 186 mile relay race that starts in Brianhead Ski resort and ends in Zions National Park. We started 3:00 Friday afternoon and ended 5:00 Saturday. Jill and I have been training for it, but we should have been doing more hills because the elevation changes were really extreme. Each runner had to run three legs of the race and averaged 5 to 8 miles per run. One thing that I learned is that Jill is one tough chick, she hammered away at all her runs and never complained once. All in all it was a great experience, never got more than a couple hours sleep, but that just makes the experience that much better. The only part that was hard was right at the end. We were kicking it at the finish line waiting for the last runner to come in and found out that he couldn't run because of an injury so I had to go out and relieve him and finish out his leg. Let me tell you that takes a little bit of mental willpower. Anyways we had fun, came home tired, a little sunburnt and sore. On to the next one, Ragnar Las Vegas in October (I think I will train on a few more hills first).

0 comments: