Thursday, September 18, 2008

Any Suggestions?

WARNING: There is a lot of poop and pee talk in this post so if you are grossed out by that, don't read this. :) Okay, I am knee-deep into the potty training and I need some ideas here. Kaitlyn is peeing regularly in her potty but she has yet to poop in it. She gets a Starburst every time she pees in the potty and now she is going like 5 or 6 times an hour so she can have a treat. I can't believe she can pee that much! She is a peeing machine! She is constantly on a sugar high because she gets so many starbursts from peeing, but I don't want to take them away or she might stop doing it until she is fully potty-trained. She is still in pull-ups though because she doesn't always stay dry and she still needs to figure out how to poop in the potty. Joel even told her he would buy her her own Polly Pockets if she would poop in the potty and she says "okay" every time. Next thing you know, she comes up to me and says "I'm stinky". I ask her why she didn't come and tell me so we could run to the potty and she says "I don't know". So I say, next time DO NOT poop in your pull-up and we will run to the potty so you can get a Polly Pocket and she is like "Okay!" But it's just not happening. I don't remember it being this hard with my first two kids. I don't even remember how I got them to go potty, it seems like it was easy for them.
Secondly, Kinlee is doing really well in school this year, but she has a hard time with me correcting her if she reads a word wrong. One of her sight words is "this" and every time she sees it she says "said". I don't know why, maybe she is seeing the "s" at the end and starting with that. I really don't know, but she gets really angry when I tell her she is wrong. I say it nicely and tell her what the right word is, but she gets mad and yells "DON"T TELL ME" or "YES IT IS". Then she runs off mad and I have to explain that I just want her to learn the correct words so she knows what they are. Sometimes I end up getting really angry and yell at her. I know that doesn't help so give me some suggestions everyone! I know she just wants to do it right and wants to be a good student, but she HATES being wrong and then corrected.

Well, this has been a crazy week, my washer broke down and flooded the laundry room and some of it got on my carpet. I thought I caught it before it was too bad and I put towels where the carpet got a little wet to soak it up, but the carpet does not seem to be drying there very well. So, today I pulled up the carpet where it meets the tile of the laundry room and put a fan on it to dry it out better. It was starting to smell a little so I hope I haven't ruined it. Between dance carpool, Young Women, scouts, visiting teaching, working for Joel, homework, and having to clean the whole house so a realtor could come over and just "see" how much we could get for our house I am ready for a relaxing weekend. :)

8 comments:

Stella said...

Sorry! I haven't potty trained yet, but I am terrified!
Kinley? Haha, Aileena does that to me all of the time. I am dumb, stupid mom, who doesn't know anything. It must be a girl thing. We all want to be right. You should go check out the blog Mama manifesto. There is a link on my blog. Sometimes it is nice to know that i am not the only mom out there that feels the way I do.

Good luck!

Blaine said...

If there's one thing we've learned about potty training - no matter how much you bribe and prod and beg them - they do it when THEY want to do it. Something just clicks and it happens. Every kid is different. She's not 3 yet - she'll be fine.

Kinley sounds just like Becca when it comes to not liking to be corrected. When we try to correct her she will usually say "I know!" and then get upset and go in to the Becca Zone. But she is getting a lot better about it this year - maybe it's a first grade thing.

Nelle B said...

I think Blaine is right, they won't really do it until they are ready. One of my boys wasn't interested until the month he turned 3, and when he finally got interested - it only took a day. Maybe just take a break from the whole thing and try again in a couple of months - maybe she'll be totally ready.

For the reading, maybe try having her write the words she has trouble with on a paper, (completely separate activity than working on the sight words) and write the words five times each. I did this with Ty when he had a lot of trouble spelling, and it really helped him. He became one of the top spellers in the class.

Grandma A said...

This will soon pass and Kaitlyn will be going to the potty and Kinlee will be reading like a pro.
When I think back about when all you kids were little I can hardly remember it. It went by soo fast.
Like Grandma Theora Anderson used to say, "When your kids are little and you are so busy with them, those were the happy days."

McLerran Family said...

Raising kids is so hard sometimes! Jake wasn't motivated by candy, stickers, or big prizes. It was so frustrating! We decided to have him sit on the potty every 30 minutes or so just to try it out. Sometimes he went and sometimes he didn't. It took a while but he finally caught on. Maybe that will work for Kaitlyn. Good luck!

Extraordinary Housewife said...

Jill! My name is Lana and I am Emily Pilling's (Brek's wife) friend. I am currently building a house and am getting the suspended bar stools like yours. I am getting them from Seating Innovations. I was wondering what color yours are, oil rubbed bronze or black? Have you been happy with them? Also, what is the stain on your cabinets. I love that color. Thanks for your time.
-Lana
hondavan at cableone.net

debbie said...

So did you get your relaxing weekend? :) I'm the last person you should be asking about potty training. Ryan and Josh didn't start until they were 3 1/2! It just didn't phase them at all to be sitting in poop. Yes, it was embarrassing to take them to Sunbeams in diapers. And yes, they were in underwear full time much later than their friends. But...when they were ready it just "clicked" and we were done in less than a week. It sounds like Kaitlyn is fine with the peeing part already, but one thing I did with my kids was put them in underwear with a pull-up over them. That way they could tell they were wet, but I didn't have a mess to clean up. :) Of course you wouldn't want that set up with pooping going on. I've got a friend who is frustrated to no end. She's been working on it for months with her daughter that is almost three and there has been a lot of back and forth. I'd just say hold off for a while. Good luck!

Blaine said...

Hey Jill, this is Jen. Becca had the same problem potty training and I told her if she did not go #2in the potty that she could not watch TV anymore. It was sort of risky (no TV would be more of a punishment for me)but it worked!