I recently ran across this quote from President Monson: "So frequently we mistakenly believe that our children need more things, when in reality their silent pleadings are simply for more of our time." President Thomas S. Monson
I love this quote and it is a good reminder to me to spend more time with my kids doing fun things, and less time yelling at them. I'm sure Kaitlyn wouldn't agree with Pres. Monson since every time we go to any store she begs for a number of things including Starbursts, ring pops, anything with Dora or princesses on, etc. I guess I could tell her that what she really wants is more time with me. I'm sure that would go over well. :) But really, I do love that quote and I know I need to try to do better on spending more fun time with my kids and enjoy them while they are young. With that said, Dylan had quite a rough week this week. First, he was vacuuming as one of his chores and the vacuum quit on him and wouldn't start again (not his fault). The next day, he put a water bottle in the microwave (lid on) to warm it up because he doesn't like to drink anything too cold. As you can imagine, the bottle exploded with the pressure and the it tripped the breaker and the microwave would no longer power up. The next night, he was mowing the lawn and went across the driveway (mower still on) and ran over Joel's favorite flip flops chewing one of them up beyond repair. At this point, Dylan was pretty upset with himself and had a small meltdown thinking he had made so many mistakes this week. That is not the end of it... then Saturday night I went out with my girlfriends to a movie and while I was gone, Dylan and his cousin were kicking the soccer ball around in the LIVING ROOM (Joel was bathing kids at the time) and kicked the ball right into one of my pictures, breaking the glass everywhere. This after mom telling him several times not to kick the ball around in the house. Well, when he told me what happened the next morning he was pretty upset. We talked about it and how following rules is a very important thing and why rules are there for our protection and others' as well. Luckily, my dad came over and was able to fix the vacuum and microwave. (Thanks again Dad). The picture is okay, it just has no glass in the front of it... and I guess we will be buying Joel some new flip flops. I think he has really learned some good lessons this week and luckily nobody was hurt and we were able to save most of the things he broke. The vacuum wasn't his fault, but it just kicked off a bad week for him. He is such a good kid; hopefully this string of accidents is over for him now and he learned something from it. I learned how to live without a microwave for 4 days (it was difficult) and to be a little more understanding when accidents happen. We all make mistakes right? :)
Monday, May 4, 2009
Rough Week for Dylan
Posted by Jill at 8:46 AM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
5 comments:
You are such a good mother. I have to laugh cause Dylan is such a good boy that I hate to see these things happen to him.... Blame it on our dog. Joel would believe that our stupid dog ate his flip flops. Our dog seems to take the hit at our house when someone doesnt want to own up for something being broken.. :0)
There is a person living at our house named "not me"... he seems to be the culprit whenever I ask who did something. :)
Dad can fix anything. I'm pretty sure he could glue Joel's flip-flops back together with some 5 minute epoxy!
Maybe we ought to try the 5 minute epoxy on Joel's flip-flops. :)
I hope Dylan has a better week this week. We love you Dylan.
Sorry to hear he had a rough week, hope things get better for him. That is rough to have that many things go wrong. Good luck!
Post a Comment